Welcome

Are you struggling to manage your weight? Read on to see if my knowledge, successes and failures can help you. Please comment and pass along to anyone who you think could benefit from this Blog. Be Healthy!



Friday, July 8, 2011

Ask Yourself...

I have had a lapse.  I hate writing about it, but that is the point.  The last 3 days have been brutal.  I have packed food, but found some fast food joint calling (not true, I went hunting).  Gained about 2.5 lbs.  Now at 226.

Why is this happening?  Why am I choosing differently when I know the results?

I am stressed right now.  I have a big project looming and I am behind on the timeline.  Could that be it?  I do know this; Stress plays a huge role in weight management.  As humans, we are designed to store energy (fat) and increase appetite when stressed.  It comes from our past heritage.  When past generations were stressed it was during lean times, famine, no food.  The problem today is that most of us can find food when ever we want, but the response to stress of work, bills, cars not working creates the same result...slower metabolism and cravings.

That leaves us with trying to control stress.  Of course this is a good idea anyway considering heart disease and immune properties, but for weight management it is crucial.  The best way to control stress is to eliminate stressful situations if possible.  Now don't go get divorced or quit your job, you know you were thinking it.  Eliminate time management and budgeting issues by planning ahead.  Where you can't eliminate, be sure to have a good attitude and find ways to decompress. 

We all have things that make us feel better, but are they healthy.  Overindulging in alcohol, food, drugs (at all), are not healthy de-stressors.  Instead go for a walk, exercise or activity will help to eliminate the chemicals in the body released during stress.  So burn some calories the next time you want to sit on the couch with a tub of ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment