Welcome

Are you struggling to manage your weight? Read on to see if my knowledge, successes and failures can help you. Please comment and pass along to anyone who you think could benefit from this Blog. Be Healthy!



Monday, June 20, 2011

Heal, Phyto, Heal

I am not a nutritionist.  I try to expose myself to as much nutritional information as possible.  I want to have the most accurate and up-to-date info I can for myself, my kids and my clients.  It is hard sometimes to know what to believe and what not to believe.  Anytime that you read anything for knowledge, consider the source, the motivation and then maybe do some follow-up reasearch from another source.

As a trainer, I am limited by law what I can say about nutrition.  I can speak generally in terms of facts.  I can discuss anything that the government has put out as guidelines.  I can also discuss some common-sensical issues (i.e. 4 donuts is better than 6 donuts for breakfast).

But with weight loss being a large part of what I discuss with my clients, as well as something that I try to stay focused on, nutrition becomes a large part of the decisional balance for many people.  One generally accepted thought is that fruit and vegetables are good for you.  I buy that.  It seems that research suggests that F&V give the body particular chemicals called phytonutrients that cannot be received from other food sources.

Even though, I believe that to be a strong fact.  I don't like F&V.  It is not that I prefer pizza over a fruit or a vegetable.  I don't like the latter option at all.  The taste, the texture, the color...I am sure that there is a mental issue, but I used to gag when consuming them.  It has been meat and potatoes since.  This particular diet makes it difficult to manage weight as well as balance my diet.  What to do?

I don't fight with myself about finishing my broccoli.  Instead, I try to find other options.  I drink "Naked" fruit drinks or "V8 Fusions".  I do alot of tomato sauce.  I would like to get a Vitamix and make my own smoothies and hide the veggies and fruit in there (get rid of the texture as well).  It can be tough to get all of the Phytonutrients suggested.  Any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment