Welcome

Are you struggling to manage your weight? Read on to see if my knowledge, successes and failures can help you. Please comment and pass along to anyone who you think could benefit from this Blog. Be Healthy!



Monday, July 9, 2012

Negative Preception

I saw an article in one of my monthly fitness magazines about body image.  How do you feel about yours?  It is interesting how we view oursleves and others and how that can affect us.  If we consider eating disorders, perception is reality for many people.  We can become so disillusioned that our view of our own image can be distorted.

In our social media world, images are everywhere.  We see ours and might be disappointed.  We see others and might feel envious.

I know that I have felt this way.  I had a staff ID picture made about 5 years ago and couldn't believe how round my face was.  This is the reason that I grew facial hair.  If I didn't have a jaw line, I was going to make one.  I have also had a level of self-consciousness about my chest; I store fat there.  It is one thing to have a big belly, but quite another to have feminine feature.

These concerns have often cost me social opportunities, like swimming or camp or dating.  It is a weird and complicated issue.  I still felt good about who I was, but didn't trust others :)

Luckily, I never resorted to a disordered eating habit to change.  Instead, I have changed to healthier habits that led to weight loss.  With more images in our face with digital devices, be sure that you continue to think healthfully about yourself.  It is okay to not like what you see; but that doesn't need to lead to a complusion or a disrespect for yourself.  Focus on what you feel are strengths while improving your weaknesses.  If you do struggle with a healthy view of yourself, there are websites and services that offer help. 

One thing that I also knew to be true, I have my positives and everyone else has their negatives...even if they don't show-up in their profile pic!

205.2 - up alittle...might start regrowing my beard soon to keep my new jaw line!

No comments:

Post a Comment