Welcome

Are you struggling to manage your weight? Read on to see if my knowledge, successes and failures can help you. Please comment and pass along to anyone who you think could benefit from this Blog. Be Healthy!



Sunday, April 15, 2012

Don't Succomb to "Peer" Pressure

Being social can be tough.  It is supposed to be fun and exciting and rewarding.  Social health is important to the overall balance of Wellness.  However, it can be stressful to fit in or to try and pleasing to others.

It's non-sense.  Of course that is easy to say, but doing something or not doing something in order to feel included seems sophmoric.  As an adult, we should be proud of who we are or look to be changing a habit or pattern to be a better or healthier person more aligned with our own beliefs.

So whether you drink or don't drink, why change for others?  Decisions about changing habits, changing behavior patterns are more successful and longer lasting when they are internal.

Discussing alcohol doesn't have to be a moral issue, just a health issue.  Besides what it can do to increase your risk of cancer and CVD, consuming alcohol is difficult for weight management.  So is eating out!

Yesterday, I had plans to meet friends at a restaurant.  Restaurant food can be difficult to navigate for healthier choices.  If nothing else, I controlled my caloric consumption early so that I had room for error during dinner.  It worked; I had grilled salmon and citrus rice and didn't gain weight.

But the social evil of a toxic environment did raise it's head.  There were comments about not drinking and choosing a healthy food.  Nothing major, but I did feel a little pressure to "join in the fun".  Nothing against my social compatriots, but generally, I wonder if pressure comes from a place of guilt.  Be one of us and I don't have to feel bad for my choice?  I don't know, maybe I am totally off track.

201.8

No comments:

Post a Comment