Welcome

Are you struggling to manage your weight? Read on to see if my knowledge, successes and failures can help you. Please comment and pass along to anyone who you think could benefit from this Blog. Be Healthy!



Friday, May 4, 2012

Ramping Up, Don't Over Do It

Yesterday, I walked for the first time in a while.  Walking for me is a competition.  I racewalk.  Now, I am not a high caliber walker, but I have completed 3 half-marathons.  I train to improve my times.  My competition pace is about 12:30-13:00 min miles.  So around 2:45 to complete the 13.1 miles.

The problem is that my schedule is sometimes hard to plan around and I don't get outside as much as I would like to walk. 

Well yesterday, I had a hard time getting my heart rate up!  I felt that my speed was fine, but I simply wasn't getting the challenge that I normally get.  But since it was my first time in a while, I decided to keep the walk relatively short and not push myself. 

Mainly, I didn't want an injury.  Cardiovascularly, I could have done more, but how were the feet and knees going to feel the next morning?  Turns out, everything is fine and I can go again today if I want. 

Just be sure to be conservative when getting back into exercise or when starting.  Focus on what you can do and not what others are doing.  It can also help with adherence if you listen to your body.  If you work so hard that you look good to others, but will never return because it was too much, what is the benefit?

No comments:

Post a Comment